Test kit results
As my tank approaches its sixth month birthday, I ran the full battery of tests including ammonia (0). All is doing very well. On Sunday, I set a timer for four hours, turned off the skimmer, and added 6 capfuls of Microbacter7 to add some extra bacteria to the system. The timer reminds me when to resume skimming.
Year to date
Water test of RO/DI water: .5ppm Ammonia
Water test of Tap water: 1ppm Ammonia
Water test of tank water: 0 Ammonia
Thanks for making me break out my kit, Kirk of DFWMAS. I'm adding Seachem's Prime to my ATO reservoir, and purifying a pump so I can lower it in there to mix up the product
Today was catch up on everything that needed doing. Had to get a sump built, fix my darn sprinklers, get a frag into an Interceptor bath, clean the skimmer and do all my water tests. The tank is doing very well, numbers-wise:
I tested Magnesium with my Salifert kit, but also did a test with a borrowed Red Sea Reef Foundation kit that Wes lent me. It still reads way too high (1600ppm), even with his kit. I'm going
Did a full battery of tests tonight to see where things are, and upped the output of the calcium reactor slightly to bring Alkalinity back up a skotch. I've been pretty busy as usual, but do enjoy the tank every day.
For the past two weeks, I was thinking about modifying my Euroreef protein skimmer so it could work in conjunction with my NextReef biopellet reactor. I was considering drilling a hole in the body of the skimmer, inserting a uniseal and then pumping the effluent of the reactor into the reaction chamber of the skimmer. In this way, it would definitely export dead or dying bacteria exiting the reactor. Perhaps that stuff was causing the dinoflagellates in my tank, I really don't know.