Do It Yourself projects
It's official, the tank is out of the house. Prior to everyone's arrival, I built a quick 8' pallet out of landscape timbers, 1x material, and some wafer decking.
Installing 2x4s under the
It is always a challenge to add new fish to an established reef, primarily because of territorial issues. Each fish in the tank has already picked out their favorite haunt, and they are not prepared to share space with a newcomer. As hobbyists, we always try to come up with ways that might work: dump them in and pray, add them after lights out, introduce many at once (shock and awe), or put them in a section divided off from the rest of the reef.
Several years ago, a friend of mine
Updated 02-15-2012 at 01:33 AM by melev
The one task I truly hate is cleaning filter socks. When I built my new sump for the 400g, I included a filter sock hanger and purchased four socks to rotate through as needed. These are the large 7" filter socks, not the smaller 4" type.
As they get dirty, I pull them out of the sump and place them in a container near the back door, and usually the next day they are put outside to be cleaned later. Well, I had one out there. A few weeks later I had another dirty sock sitting
This is one of those projects I've thought about for some time, but finally got outdoors and implemented it. I wanted to see how this works, and will clean it up after I've had a little time to work out any kinks in the execution.
Over the past two months, I've watched algae grow in the overflow. Since it is lit from the metal halides above, a cover was needed. Now that the fifth and final Durso was installed, the cover could be fabricated and placed over that area.
I decided to make the cover big enough to cover the entire external overflow and overhang the teeth a little. It had to be drilled for the Durso caps, as well as for the Aqua Controller probes.