Final water tests of the year, and an update
by, 12-24-2010 at 04:35 AM (1794 Views)
While I do tend to test various specific parameters as needed, I've gotten into a bad habit of not doing the full battery of tests regularly this year. Just looking at this chart, I can see just how infrequently I measured using all the kits. Part of the reason is because I don't like finding out what's wrong because then I have to fix it. For 2011 however, I need to work on a better mindset. Rather than fear the worst, I need to get back into the routine of testing to avoid problems.
I have to say, I was amazed at the results I got tonight. What a great way to end the year.
If you've been following my Facebook updates, I've been collecting RO/DI water in the vertical poly tank. It took 53 hours exactly to accumulate 250g of RO/DI water. It was a slow process but I still enjoyed updating with fresh images from time to time.
Here's the poly tank filled with RO/DI water.
I'm using Sybon Reef Formula salt.
This is what it looks like to add salt. I knew the area was snug, but decided to live with it. I should only have to climb up the ladder twelve times a year.
I added 5 bags of salt tonight and will see what that mixes up to be, but expect to have to add another bag to reach 35ppt / 1.026sg.
The other thing I did tonight was get the tank situated exactly where it needed to be in relation to the walls so the woodwork would fit smoothly, and then used a mixture of warm water and vinegar to clean the entire aquarium inside and out, the black trim, and the powder-coated stand.
It's ready for the sand, at last.