Food Making Recipe
by, 01-03-2010 at 12:38 PM (1706 Views)
For about 6 months now I have been making my own food. When, I started my goal was to purchase as much of it as possible from the local grocery store in order to keep the cost down. In November, I did a teach for my local on the food recipe. Here is the recipe and a video that I made to go along with recipe.
MASM Food Recipe
Why Make your Own Food:
1) Allows for variety of diet: You can mix different things together in feeding. Your fish get variety
2) Cost effective solution. Most items in the recipe are at your local grocery store.
3) Can tailor your recipe to your own specific tank.
Foodmaking - Rules to Live By:
1) Go light on the fats. A heavy fat diet can cause fatal liver damage to your fish
2) For Marine Fish Try to avoid sources of fresh water origin. (i.e. donít use catfish, etc.). There are some exception -- bloodworms, etc.
3) Buy a separate blender. Everyone will thank you
1/2 oz broccoli
1/2 sheet Nori
1/2 oz carrots
1 oz shrimp
1 1/2 oz pollock or smelt
20 ml garlic guard
1 1/2 oz squid
1/32 oz oyster eggs
5 cubes cyclops
1 oz scallops
1) Add broccoli, carrots, and nori into blender and chop finely. (This done to ease the mixing process later)
2) Add all other items into blender and mix to desired level. (I prefer to almost puree the mixture but you can make coarse for a tank with larger fishes)
3) Add mixture to sandwich bag and evenly flatten. (Remember to not close the bag complete until you are near the top. Ė This allows air to escape)
4) Freeze and serve by thawing in water.
Here is the video that I made to go along with the recipe.