Tying up loose ends
by, 05-04-2011 at 01:51 AM (2090 Views)
Bobby finally had a little time to come over and I put him to work. I needed a number of things resolved or completed.
Two outlets in my home were flakey with bad connections, so he swapped those out.
The AquaController 3 had stopped communicating with all the x-10 modules in the sump area, and he had the tool to replace the phone jack connectors on the wiring to the kind that fit the sockets correctly. All four were replaced to get a good connection, and now the x-10s are working again. Something strange did happen though, the command module seemed to not send out any signals. The cure apparently was to plug the wire from the AC3 directly to the module to send a few signals. It's like it rebooted the module, because thereafter it started working as it should. Perhaps it was stuck in some strange loop due to a recent power fluctuation. Glad it is fixed.
The floor drain is now finally tied in and is usable. I can't believe it took three months to get this done, but now it is. It wasn't too bad a project, but had I thought ahead when the french drain was installed, it could have been easier.
The challenge was how plumbing connects to smaller pipe. The reducing effect always puts the plumbing in the center of the previous piece, creating a liquid level issue within the fittings. My concern was that the water would have to rise up higher to exit out into the next pipe, causing issues with how the floor drain would flow. Fortunately, we were able to make this work with only one spot holding a minimal amount of water.
To avoid wind blowing back up the pipe, as well as to reduce any kinds of curious pests from entering via the drain line, I purchased 5' of flat drain. Water drains out and lifts the rubber to exit, and then the drain collapses back down, basically sealing itself nicely.
Water will run down the driveway.
We also got the generator quick-connect installed this evening. I have to pick up some fuses for it tomorrow to test if it works correctly.
I was annoyed that this little box didn't come with the fuses, nor state on the package fuses would be needed. It was only after Home Depot was closed that we discovered why it wasn't working as expected.
Once it has been tested successfully, I'll do a blog entry explaining how I'll use it.