by, 05-25-2011 at 09:53 PM (906 Views)
well after a few months i finally got my new pump installed. i have a 110g tall dt, 45g refugium, 50g sump. i drilled my dt for a sort of closed loop, with 4 returns. but i only drilled 2-1 1/2" drains. so running the bean drains with 1 full siphon, and 1 emergency i can't really have a closed loop, so i have to run it through the sump. the dart i originally bought on the advise of a local dealer wasn't enough to pump upstairs. he wouldn't take the pump back for exchange even though it had run less than a minute. so on the advise of Chris at reeflo, i got the hammerhead hybrid. today it arrived so i was all happy. i had to cut out the plumbing i had butchered when the first pump wouldn't work, and i had to use a little giant 4 sc. the little giant was my return pump when the sump was under my dt, but it was enough to get water upstairs. i figure it was pumping between 200-250 gph. now i'm pushing atleast 2500 gph, and running 2 reactors off of the hammerhead. i took 3 power heads out of the dt, 2 from the reactors, 1 from the refugium. my dt has great flow and the fish are happy, the coral's seem to be out more with the random flow from my 4 returns. the rock is starting to get cleaned off of the gunk that settled there despite blowing off for water changes.
last night i spent 5 hours scrubbing rock to get rid of gha, and that dam grape capular that won't stop.
i made a manifold for my 2 reactors and my bio pellets are flowing better, and my gfo seems to be gently moving.
the only thing is a hum in the plumbing. i have it hard plumbed but if it doesn't quiet down i may have to change some to soft. with an 8' run plus 13' vertical there's a fair bit of pipe to vibrate.
now i just need a mp-40es to help with some waves and i should be good.