Silicone the overflow into the 60g cube and plumbed
by, 11-04-2013 at 02:46 AM (4553 Views)
In a previous blog ( link ) I explained how I was securing the internal overflow to the base of the AGE tank. Well, even though it might have worked perfectly, my paranoia gene was flaring up and I kept thinking about how a leak from the base of the aquarium would require a full breakdown to correct the problem. Rather than just hoping for the best, I bought a tube of Aquarium-Safe silicone at Home Depot and applied it to the base of the box and reinstalled it.
With a thick bead of silicone, I pressed the box into the tank. I applied more silicone around the threads on the underside, and tightened the nuts as much as I could by hand.
This should assure a nice dry area of plumbing. After letting it cure for a couple of days, I began the plumbing process. The drain line and the return line will feed through the wall behind the tank, plumbed into the 400g's sump and the manifold pump.
The return has the orange handled ball valve to limit how much water flows into the 60g.
That's as far as I got with this today, especially when I discovered this in the front seam. It appears to be an empty gap in the silicone, which should never have happened. It's about 6" from the bottom of the tank on the front side. It may not be a structural concern, but I'm hoping it will be possible to stuff more silicone to fill that gap with a tiny tamping tool.