3 tangs died in one day
by, 01-12-2010 at 09:50 PM (848 Views)
I'm been reef keeping close to decade and had strange experience this last week.
My last tank lasted 6 years before losing power while away. I have slowly and carefully restocked tank. I had 4 tangs in system in two different connected tanks.
All fish were quarantined with Copper Citrate and Prazipro for 2 weeks. All ate well and and had not visible scars, parasites, fgungal infactions ect.
I had them in same system for about 10 weeks and 3 of four died in one day. I'v never had an issue like this before.They ate well evening before I arrived home from work. Naso, two clowns and blenny are OK.
- I did not lose electrical power and confirmed with neighbor with reef tank
- AC jr did not log odd evening temp
- Stray voltage reads 0.1V, not enough to do anything I beleive and might not be accurate
I suspect either poisoning or disease. I am leading toward poisoning since disease would not be so acute in most cases.
I'm concerned I may have feed a flake food left in garage too long in hot summer when I cleaned up. I threw it out to be safe.
Not sure what else it could be. I feed algae, lots of algae, mysid, krill, frozen plankton. frozen pollock and algae, and flake a few time a week. since algae is minimal
Tank coraline algae is growing very well with little pest algae. Alkalinity is 125 ppm. Ammonia by API was clearly 0.0 ppm. Nitrate was <0.25 by lamotte LR. I check heater for stray electricity and it was OK too.
Only additive I use is MB7 occasionally and no carbon source.
If it was an additive it would be the only one I use.
Food would be the brown flake as I never used it before, or atleast in a long time.
Skimmer was cleaner 1 day before but over flowed for some reason.
Other fish are not apearing stressed and eating 2 days later.Coral health seems to be improving.
Any suggestions what happened??
I am just grasping at straws myself.......................