Entries pertaining to plumbing
I'm making a little progress on my goal to do water changes without having to lift a finger. The idea is to move water out of the tank and into the tank at the same time, and to do so in small amounts daily. From one of Randy Holmes-Farley's articles written years ago, he determined that there was just as much benefit changing 1% of the water daily as there was doing 25% once a month.
About two years ago, I bought this pump from a club member. It's a high end dual-head medical
I like the Sequence Dart pumps, but like anything they too need to be repaired as parts give out over time. I looked at the twin pumps that run 24 hours a day, and was surprised to see salt creep and crusty stuff amassing in their vicinity. Yuck!
I called up the people at Reeflopumps.com and they shipped me out new seals and four new bearings. When you have the pump pulled part for the seals, it's only a little
When I set up the 400g, I had plans to make the water changes something less involved. I bought a high-end dual-head dosing machine, with the goal to automate water changes during the night on a regular basis, but I had trust issues with such a device and never got it fully installed.
Over the past 15 months, when I needed water from the 265g poly tank, I used some spaflex tubing, pointing it into the sump's return zone and then opened a valve to refill what was removed. That section
For the past 5 or 6 weeks, I've been avoiding the task of getting the 84" tall 265g poly tank out of the fishroom to clean it. It's easier with a second person, but with the Texas heat I've simply opted to put it off day after day after day. Well, at the same time my reef was at risk in case I needed saltwater for an emergency, not to mention the lack of water changes that couldn't be performed.
Friday night at 10pm, it was 103F outside. Since I was more motivated than usual, I decided
Bobby finally had a little time to come over and I put him to work. I needed a number of things resolved or completed.
Two outlets in my home were flakey with bad connections, so he swapped those out.
The AquaController 3 had stopped communicating with all the x-10 modules in the sump area, and he had the tool to replace the phone jack connectors on the wiring to the kind that fit the sockets correctly. All four were replaced to get a good connection, and now the x-10s